Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Looking forward to 2014

2013 is in the books. It was a roller coaster. I've got my sights on 2014, but I feel it's necessary to reflect on the past year before I put it behind me completely. I made mistakes & learned tough lessons, but I also did a few things right. You take the good and learn from the bad; overall it was a successful year.

Accomplishments (in chronological order)

  • 1st overall at West Point Lakes Draft Legal Triathlon
  • 3rd overall (& prize $$) at Girl Power Triathlon
  • 2nd overall at Crawfishman Triathlon
  • 4th overall (& prize $$) at Indian Creek Triathlon
  • 1st overall at Sunfish Triathlon
  • 5th overall & age group win at Music City Triathlon (Olympic Distance 2:25:15)
  • Re-Organized the Team H.A.M.R. Triathlon Club thanks to a gentle shove from Ginger Spansel :)
  • Competed in the open division at Rocketman Triathlon (Olympic Distance 2:33:57)
  • 2nd overall (& prize $$) at Girl Power Triathlon; shed 2 minutes from my spring time
  • 1st Elite Amateur at Lifetime Fitness Tri U.S. Open in Dallas
  • 1st overall at Mighty Magnolia Triathlon; shed 3.5 minutes from last year
  • Top 10 1500m time for women 25-29 in US Masters Swimming National Rankings (21:57)
  • Helped A LOT of people reach their fitness goals through leadership in training programs (2x5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon, & triathlon)
  • Co-organized monthly women's only group ride in Hattiesburg- The Monthly Cycle- with Brinn Strange
Ladies of Hub City Velo & Team H.A.M.R. get together for the December Monthly Cycle.


Lessons Learned
    Awards ceremony at the
    Lifetime Fitness Tri in Dallas.
    Biggest and best race for 2013,
    spontaneity means no pressure!
  • A race is just a race. As a former competitive cheerleader, I've grown accustomed to the concept that one performance determines whether the year was a success or a failure. As a result I've built up goal races in my head and create unnecessary pressure; and this is a recipe for disaster. Races shouldn't be a source of anxiety. They're an opportunity to let the hard work come together and finally work for you, and that's FUN. Races are never perfect, and things don't always work out the way you want them too. That's ok, because there's always another race, and if you've put the work in, success will follow. 
Ginger, me, & Brinn in Sumrall for one of last group rides.




  • I get by with a little help from my friends.  A LOT of goodbyes were said in 2013, but I'm still surrounded by many really great ones. Some of them simply put a smile on my face, but some of them get me through the training. If it were not for my training buddies, I would really struggle through a large percentage of my workouts. The hours spent pounding the pavement, spinning the wheels, and surviving the water are where true friends are made! I'm so grateful to the people who accompany me and get me through the workouts. It makes the training fun.
  • I can't control how other behave, only how I react. I've come to the sad realization that not everyone shares my moral standards. I can't control, or even understand, why some people choose to behave the way they do.  Responding to negativity is a waste of energy, and will only result in bitterness. Instead, keep an eye on the goals at hand and focus on what is RIGHT. And very reverently, CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES.
  • Attitude is everything. I know this is silly, but sometimes I view workouts as punishments. This usually occurs at the peak of a hard training block, when I'm mentally and physically exhausted. I sometimes pout and act pathetic, hoping that Kyle will take sympathy on me and back off on the training load. This rarely happens, though, because he and I both know I need to suck it up and get to work. Consequently, I often approach workouts reluctantly and in a negative mental state. Bottom line- the work needs to get done, I'm need to do it, so approach it with a better attitude and life will be happier.

Goals for 2014
  • Keep getting faster (duh!)
  • Eat healthier (My new nutri-bullet should help)
  • Go to bed earlier (8:30-9p.m. will put me around 7.5-8 hrs a night)
  • Limit media time (I LOVE to veg out on occasion and just be entertained... but this is time I COULD spend sleeping...)
  • Read for education (how about, for every book I read for pleasure, read another for education)
  • Blog more (because everyone wants to know what's on my mind...)
  • Use my degrees- research and report (because this is actually a talent of mine, and I'd LOVE to do it professionally one day)

No comments:

Post a Comment